West African Wenge is very dark brown with close 'black' veins alternating with 'pale' bands and is therefore favoured by furniture makers. It is also used for turnery and joinery (for interior and exterior use) and can be used for flooring due to natural resistance to abrasion.
Sizes stocked at present are 26mm, 40mm and 52mm. Widths mainly 100 - 200mm and lengths 2m - 3m. Subject to availability at time of order.
Zebrano available to order, minimum 1m3 per thickness.
- Sawing and machining somewhat difficult
- Rapid blunting of cutting edges occurs
- Turns well
- Difficult to glue if resinous
- Requires pre-boring for nailing
- High strength, stiffness and weight properties
- Moderate hardness
- Good bending properties
- Wenge dries slowly but without much distortion
- Movement in service is rated as small
- Heartwood is rated as very durable and resistant to termite attack
- Heartwood extremely resistant to impregnation; sapwood moderately resistant to permeable
- Interior and exterior joinery
- General construction work
- Panelling and veneers for furniture and cabinets