American 'hard' Maple is imported in FAS grade in thicknesses of sawn 25mm, 32mm, 38mm, 51mm, 63mm, 76mm & 100mm kiln dried.
It is mainly used for interior furniture and joinery. Imported packs normally contain random widths 100mm to about 225mm and are in predominantly even lengths i.e. 2.4m, 3.1m, 3.6m as this is the standard method of American hardwood production. Occasionally we are able to obtain other lengths up to 4.2m long.
The grade we stock is predominantly sapwood on one face and on part of the reverse. This 'white' colouring is favoured by joinery & furniture makers.
- Machines well with care
- Pre-boring is recommended for nailing and screwing
- Glues satisfactorily
- Can be stained and polished to an excellent finish
- Turns well
- Dries slowly with large shrinkage
- Susceptable to movement in performance
- Heavy and hard with good strength properties
- High resistance to abrasion and wear
- Good steam bending properties
- Slightly/non -resistant to heartwood decay
- Sapwood liable to attack by furniture beetle
- Heartwood is resistant to preservative treatment but Sapwood is permeable
- Kitchen cabinets
- Worktops and tabletops
- Interior joinery